Yep, I’m gonna start by talking about the temperature. NO, BUT WASN’T IT A GORGEOUSLY HOT SUMMER! Heat, sun, and everything in between. Even on Sundays. Most of all on Sundays... Can you believe this is the first season where none of the regular season Piknics were cancelled? Well, with the exception of the last one. Because it would have been too nice to have it all. In the end, with only this one cloud casting some shade on our grand finale, we can honestly say that the 2012 edition of Piknic Electronik was, in this respect, absolutely exceptional. In this respect, and in many others as well.
We asked the office team for their favourite moments and this is what we got back:
- With an attendance record set at the first Piknic (May 20, 8529 persons), we just knew we were in for a groundbreaking season!
- The 10th anniversary affair on June 24th (with the piñata and the name tags, Julie Garneau was sufficiently excited)
- The triple-weekend and Claude VonStroke making our hot dogs (1,2,3 September)
- All Day I Dream of Piknic (June 17), for its colourful, zen decor under the Calder
- Osheaga with Buraka Som Sistema in the rain and SBTRKT (3,4,5 August)
- Nymra & Sofisticated setting fire to the GURU stage (July 29)
- And it goes on
- On a more personal note, for Maripierre D’Amour in Communications, her highlight of the summer was effectively the bucket. For Émilie Wake, it was Tone of Arc because he was HOT. For Tony in Production, it was the sound booth and the sound man who came with it, and for Vanessa his assistant, it was when Electric Rescue (September 16) dropped this track here while watching the waves along the river that day. For Marie-Pier TDL in Logistics, it was (among other things) the end of Sébastien Léger’s set (September 8). And unanimously, it’s definitively Éric Lapointe who was working on our 10th edition homecoming soaked in the rain when our DG asked him top leave because it was a private party. Epic.
In all wrapped up in a funny way, with Mother Nature was cheated, we regret nothing, but oh well. No one can take these souvenirs from us. Hot 2012 edition, we love you tenderly.
By Maud La Rue
Photo credit: Jasmin Le Blanc